OrKidstra is hiring! Advancement & Operations Director
Advancement & Operations Director
OrKidstra is a registered charity that supports a social development program through music for children from under-served communities in Ottawa. Now in its 12th year, OrKidstra serves over 700 children and youth who come from 42 cultural and linguistic backgrounds. OrKidstra’s mission is to empower kids and build community through the universal language of music. OrKidstra carries out this mission by providing children from low-income families with free group and individual music lessons and the chance to learn important life skills such as respect, compassion, teamwork and responsibility through playing and singing together. Learn more at orkidstra.ca.
This career choice will offer you the opportunity to change children’s lives through music while empowering you to develop your skills in a dynamic, collaborative, fast-paced environment.
Job description at-a-glance
OrKidstra is seeking an Advancement & Operations Director to build its resource and organizational capacity to take it to the next level of its development in line with OrKidstra’s Strategic Plan Crescendo: Strategy 2032. Reporting to Tina Fedeski, MSM, CEO & Artistic Director, the Advancement & Operations Director is a newly-created position which will be the primary lead for OrKidstra’s external fundraising and internal operations.
- In line with OrKidstra’s Strategic Plan Crescendo: Strategy 2032, lead on the design, development and implementation of a fundraising strategy and plan of action that raises the resources to meet the key goals and objectives of the strategic plan and fundraising targets;
- Lead on analysis of resource needs, opportunities and risks to current and future organizational sustainability and growth;
- With the team, strengthen donor relations through regular contact and recognition, effective communication of OrKidstra’s mission linking music with social development and the encouragement of operational alliances with donors;
- Engage and build dynamic relations with Ottawa’s business and grassroots communities;
- Ensure activities are carried out in a timely fashion, with good internal coordination within the team, flag external and internal factors.
- Ensure processes for highly effective tactical delivery of operations are in place;
- In line with OrKidstra’s Strategic Plan, prepare detailed organizational and business plans;
- Drive implementation and rollout of initiatives;
- Upon request of the CEO & AD, represent OrKidstra, at donor meetings, seminars, partner workshops and related meetings;
- Other related duties.
Human Resources 10%
- Support the CEO & AD by developing a staffing action plan that aligns with and supports the rollout of OrKidstra’s Strategic Plan;
- In line with the staffing action plan, design a recruitment strategy that delivers the right candidates with the right skills at the right time;
- Oversee team productivity;
- Develop guidelines for staff performance evaluations, recruitment, and promotion;
- Advise on training programs that link organizational needs with staff development;
- Other related duties.
- With team, further develop finance/administration functions;
- Support the generation of monthly and annual budget reports;
- Support the preparation of financial reports for Board meetings;
- Monitor organizational revenues and expenses;
- Monitor revenue margins and constantly communicate with the CEO & AD on relevant issues, changes or developing trends;
- Other related duties.
The successful candidate will have the following skills, training and interests:
- A Bachelor or Masters in Business Administration, project management for non-profits OR the equivalent in demonstrated experience;
- 5+ years leading or managing fundraising initiatives including grant submissions and donor reporting in a non-profit;
- Strong knowledge of the Canadian charitable, philanthropic and not-for-profit sector and regulatory environment;
- 5+ years’ experience working on the executive team of a non-profit;
- Exceptional computer skills including knowledge of accounting software such as Sage and fundraising software GiftWorks/Raisers Edge or equivalent;
- Demonstrated experience in preparing business and operational plans;
- Track record in recruitment and team management;
- Proven skills in budgeting, data management and attention to detail;
- Knowledge of communications/marketing and public relations in relation to development;
- Self-starter, goal-oriented worker who is able to thrive in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent communication, written and presentation skills;
- Dynamic interpersonal and team-building skills with high emotional intelligence;
- Strong negotiation skills;
- Innovative, creative approach to work and life;
- Musical background or highly developed musical appreciation;
- Demonstrated interest and concern for the development and well-being of children and youth;
- A great sense of humour is definitely an asset.
- Generally, work is carried out in an office environment;
- Flexibility is required for some evening/weekend program meetings and events;
- The working language is English, but demonstrated working knowledge of French is a strong asset with Arabic, Mandarin/Cantonese and knowledge of other languages highly desirable;
- This role is an opportunity to exercise your passion and align your personal values and purpose with the values and purpose of an organization successfully empowering kids and building community through the universal language of music. You are a culture-creator (not just a consumer), and you believe in the power of creating environments where people can belong and thrive;
- OrKidstra is an equal opportunities employer committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion.
This position requires a police clearance for the vulnerable sector, reference checks and a valid provincial driver’s license.
A competitive compensation package including benefits will be offered to the successful candidate.
In confidence, please send a resume and one-page cover letter with salary expectations to email@example.com.
The deadline for this posting is March 10, 2019. Please mention how you heard about this position.
We thank all applicants in advance for submitting their applications. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue through the selection process will be contacted.