Frequently Asked Questions – OrKidstra @ Home
Special information relating to COVID 19:
- Are classes continuing during the COVID-19 pandemic? The health and safety of our OrKidstra family is our priority during the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, OrKidstra has decided to cancel all in-person, location-based programming until September 2020 and has shifted its programming online with the launch of OrKidstra @ Home. This new program is an engaging and multi-layered virtual learning strategy bringing music education home for OrKidstra’s current students and beyond! OrKidstra is grateful for the community’s continued support as we continue to empower kids and build community through music during this challenging time. Learn more at orkidstra.ca
- CURRENT STUDENTS:
- All current OrKidstra students have the opportunity to participate virtually in social development through music with OrKidstra @ Home. Learn more about OrKidstra @ Home in our new video!
- OrKidstra @ Home includes online instrumental lessons, practice challenges, virtual hangouts, sing/play-along videos, including free access to OrKidstra’s engaging KiddlyWinks music education videos, and live stream performances. Click here to learn more.
- ALL KIDS:
- With the launch of OrKidstra @ Home, all kids in Ottawa and beyond can access Teaching Artist-made music education resources on OrKidstra’s YouTube channel here.
- OrKidstra’s KiddlyWinks videos, an engaging music education program for elementary school-age kids, are now freely available to kids in Ottawa and beyond on-demand at orkidstra.ca
- CURRENT STUDENTS:
- Are all your staff and teachers still working during the COVID-19 shutdown? Keeping our Teaching Artists engaged is vital to the success of the organization. All Teaching Artists have the opportunity to continue to work with OrKidstra as music educators through online lessons, by creating new resources for students, with live stream performances, virtual workshops etc. The OrKidstra team, led by CEO & Artistic Director Tina Fedeski, MSM, continues to work remotely and the office is currently closed to the public.
- Do you have any concerts coming up soon? Due to COVID-19, and consequent venue shutdowns, OrKidstra does not have any location-based concerts scheduled, but please stay tuned for an announcement coming soon about an exciting virtual event in which OrKidstra will celebrate the end of the year and share the joy of music with you!
- Will COVID-19 affect plans for expansion? In the fall of 2018, OrKidstra released Crescendo: Strategy 2032, our strategic plan. Plans to expand and launch a third hub in a new under-served area of Ottawa have been potentially delayed due to the current situation, but we are still committed to extending our reach as soon as we are able. We invite you to join in the journey as OrKidstra and its students create an exciting future through the power of music by joining our mailing list.
- Does COVID-19 impact your funding? The community’s support continues to be vital as OrKidstra finds new ways to help kids from under-served communities connect and reach for success through music. During this challenging time, OrKidstra is also exploring additional funding options including relief programs offered by the Government of Canada. If you would like to contribute to OrKidstra’s ongoing mission to empower kid and build community through music, we would encourage you to do so through our secure online donation platform powered by CanadaHelps. Click here to make a tax-receiptable donation to OrKidstra.
Updated May 22, 2020