We’re hiring! – PROGRAM OPERATIONS MANAGER
Thank you for your interest in OrKidstra: this position has now been filled.
OrKidstra is a Sistema-inspired registered charity that began in 2007. OrKidstra is a child and community development program through music for children from under-served neighbourhoods in Ottawa. Our kids, who come from 42 cultural backgrounds, learn to sing in a choir and/or play an instrument in an orchestra under professional instruction after school. The mission of OrKidstra is to empower kids and build community through music.
PROGRAM OPERATIONS MANAGER – Full time position
If you are looking for a career that will change children’s lives through music and can thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, this may be the dream job for you! An outgoing personality with a love of engaging with children, multi-tasking, superb organization and communication skills as well as a musical background are essential for this position.
- Love and interest in the development of children and youth, through daily, hands-on engagement
- Ability to oversee a large number of details and take responsibility for the tasks of the Programming team
- Vehicle and clean driving record
- Ability to work occasional flexible hours for events, etc.
- A musical background and the ability to read music
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to mutli-task – working on several projects simutaneously – within a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Solid understanding of Microsoft Word Systems
- Attention to detail, forward-thinking and follow-through without prompting (self-motivated)
OTHER HELPFUL SKILLS:
- Ability to teach a music class
- Other languages
- French language
The Program Operations Manager reports to the Executive & Artistic Director and the General Manager. This position will be responsible for the management of the Programming staff and oversight of all the responsibilities of this department. The Program Operations Manager will also work closely with the part-time Program Coordinators whose main responsibilities are program coordination and event management. There are four primary areas of work, including:
- Engage with the children daily – take an interest in their lives and ensure they feel safe and included within the OrKidstra family
- Ensure clear communications are being received by our students and families, through multiple mediums
- Manage the registration process, attendance, evaluation materials and term schedules for all programs
- Update contact information and groupings for teachers, students & volunteers
- Be proactive in confirming schedules and following up with students about classes and events
- Coordinate financial issues (teacher payment, venue booking, etc.) through the General Manager
- Ensure music and music supplies are available and prepared
- Organize, distribute and keep track of all instruments; coordinate instrument needs
- Other related program administration duties
- In cooperation with the staff team, coordinate both long-term and last minute events, both in-house and offsite – student safety is always the primary priority
- Advise children, their parents, teachers and volunteers of all events. Prepare waivers and flyers as needed and supervise collection of permission slips
- Book, confirm and coordinate volunteers for events in conjunction with Programming staff
- Assist the Program Coordinator in organizing any transportation and catering, stage management, tech, A/V, equipment, etc.
- Other related event planning duties
- Provide general administration support to the General Manger, including: information for grant applications; up to date record of instrument inventory, etc.
- Be responsible for general correspondence re: OrKidstra
- Maintain the OrKidstraProgram filing system
- Ensure that all staff and volunteers have appropriate police checks
- Be responsible for tidiness and cleaning of studio/joint office space
- Maintain a calendar of events for both Centretown and Vanier Hubs in using Google Calendars
- Other related administration duties
- Keep the volunteer database updated and relevant
- Work with the program coordinators to identify program and event volunteer needs
- Communicate with program volunteers on an ongoing basis
- Recruit and screen potential volunteers; continually working to increase OrKidstra’s volunteer capacity
- Other related volunteer coordination duties
*And other related duties*
Work is based primarily at the Bronson Centre and Rideau High School hubs, but some work could be completed at home at the discretion of the Executive & Artistic Director.
Applications for this position are now closed: thank you for your interest.